Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Road Markers

Digging further into my genealogical records yields a couple of possible towns to find or visit. One is my relative, slightly off the direct tree. The other two are place names for one of my wife's ancestors.

Dwyer is part of my wife's mother's line. The distant relative is Thomas Dwyer in Davidstown, County Kilkenny (roughly southwest of Dublin). His wife, Margret Dowling hailed from Portnahully, County Waterford (continuing southwest).

My relative is also from my grandmother's line, a couple of lines over. Forrest marries a Higgins, but Higgins had a brother. It is the Higgins line that leads back from my grandmother. My correspondence shows where W. Forrest comes from, Youghal-Balinatree, County Cork.

The second part of the name (Balinatree) doesn't show up when you search Google. This makes me think I've got a (a) Suburb or region and (b) the spelling is phonetic. Youghal is right on the border between County Cork & County Waterford (continuing southwest toward Cork).

So, Dublin to Cork is a probable leg on the journey. A few stops along the way might be interesting.

I need to get a much more detailed map. I can't find enough detail on the atlases in my meager collection.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home