Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Microstock

My wife brought home an interesting book from the library. Selling Photography by Roger Antrobus. It had been listed in the Edward R. Hamilton’s Bargain Books catalogue. I’d marked 4 or 5 titles and she checked to see if our library already had it.

In the book, Roger is making the case for "stock" photography as a way to sell and resell your photographs.

As I investigated the larger companies I realized that they usually want fairly large files (50MB). That would be shooting in RAW. And that would quickly use up my memory space while I’m in the Antarctic.

I posted a question on the Digital Photography School forum and was informaed there are also "microstock" web sites. These are smaller photo sizes, so worth investigating further.

I’m not sure my photos reach the quality needed, at least not yet. But, good penguin pictures might be better than actic landscapes. And, if I focus on the penguin, the depth of field won’t be that critical.

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

There isn't a digital camera in the world that can take 50MB photos, yet. You were likely looking at Alamy who have a 48MB minimum size limit, but this is the uncompressed size, meaning the images are only about 6-8MB in actual file size. And they don't mind if you upsize the photos. I contribute to them with a 6 megapixel camera and haven't had any rejections.

Microstock is a different market, where you'll sell a LOT more, but they sell for lower prices. There's a lot of argument about which market earns more per photo, but in reality it depends on each photo.

I write about the microstock market, particularly for people who are just getting started, so come visit my blog and get all the free advice you like. I share my own results as well, so you can get an idea how much you're likely to earn - www.microstockdiaries.com

Also, I'm told photos from Antarctica sell very well indeed! ;)

Hope this helps.

-Lee

10:51 PM  
Blogger Piquero said...

I'm still a bit confused.

My camera in RAW Large, 10 Megpixels, produces a file size of about 15 Megbytes. Hence 1Gb CF will hold about 65 images. (The Flash storage seems to be 90% with 10% overhead.)

I still don't see the 48 MB Minimum.

9:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home