Tuesday, February 12, 2008

A Third Leg

Between primaries and planning a trip to Florida, haven’t been very active with this blog. Last big step was solving the air travel.

I’m back to focusing on the digital camera and gear. I’ve starting looking at monopods rather than tripods for the Antarctic trip. Weight and bulkiness seems to me the key factors. The use of a monopod is usually good for sporting and nature events where the photographers move frequently. That sums up my impression of Antarctica.

Assuming the land visits will be like the Galapagos. A fair amount of hiking, even along the beaches to see the wildlife. I think a tripod would be too bulky. A monopod will give me some stability.

Obviously, as the weight of the monopod goes up, so too the weight it can support. The smaller compact units, while reasonably priced, only support a 10-11 pound payload. If I had a huge telephoto lens, this would be a limitation.

I decided to weigh the Alpha unit with the 30-80 mm lens, the most likely configuration. Came out 1 lb 14+ oz. My film unit, with an 80-200 mm lens was 1 lb 15oz. The lenses themselves are spec’d at 6 3/16 oz and 10 9/16 oz. So I’m only looking at 2.5 lbs on the payload.

Bogen makes a light monopod. They also have a quick release swivel “head” that looks interesting. It isn’t a ball-mount. Just the ability to tip from horizontal to vertical. But it provides a mount for the camera that can be snapped in or snapped off the monopod. That is intriguing. That would save time if you can go from mounted to handheld without a lot of extra “screwing around.”

The tilt head adds 0.6 lbs. The tilt head has a max capaity of 5.5 lbs. Still more than enough for the 2.5 lbs of payload.

If I pick the equipment up this week, I can take it to Florida for a field test. We are going to visit Epcot. So, that would be my first real use of the camera and monopod.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home